Decatur Real Estate
Decatur is a little bit of everything. Travel just five miles west of downtown Atlanta and you'll find a close-knit, small village vibe, with the sophistication and excitement of a college town, and of course, all the benefits of living in a major metropolitan area. Decatur is full of art galleries, independent boutiques, restaurants and craft beer breweries, and is known for its seasonal arts festivals, outdoor concerts and an inviting town square. Annual festivals include the Decatur Arts Festival every May, the Decatur BBQ Blues & Bluegrass Festival held in August, and the Labor Day weekend Decatur Book Festival which attracts authors from around the globe.
Residents are served by their own local City of Decatur public school district, with some of the most highly rated and award-winning schools in the area. For outdoor enthusiasts, the Clyde Shepherd Nature Preserve covers 28 acres on the north side of the city, with a pond and wetlands home to hundreds of species of native plants and animals. To the east, the smaller Glenn Creek Nature Preserve is also home to walking trails through native plant forests. Numerous smaller parks are scattered throughout the town, with playgrounds, athletic fields and walking trails for residents.
A favorite spot for locals and visitors alike, one of the areas highlights is “Your DeKalb Farmers Market,” which attracts over 100,000 shoppers each week, with its 140,000 square feet of food and specialty product vendors. Flags from 184 countries around the world adorn this truly global market. If you’re looking for a totally unique tourist attraction, visitors can check out the Waffle House Museum. Now a chain of over 1700 restaurants in 25 states, the site of the very first Waffle House has been converted into a museum dedicated to this Southern breakfast (and late night after party) staple.
Featured Attractions in Decatur
- The Iberian Pig: Local favorite for tapas and cocktails
- Kimball House: French influenced eatery in a converted rail station
- Leon’s Full Service: Traditional American fare located in a former gas station
- No. 246: Locally sourced Italian cuisine with an inviting patio
- Revival: Creative take on Southern food served family style
- Clairemont Elementary: Assigned Elementary School - View Homes
- Glennwood Elementary: Assigned Elementary School - View Homes
- Oakhurst Elementary: Assigned Elementary School - View Homes
- Westchester Elementary: Assigned Elementary School - View Homes
- Winnona Park Elementary: Assigned Elementary School - View Homes
- Renfroe Middle School: Assigned Middle School - View Homes
- Decatur High School: Assigned High School - View Homes
- Hess Academy: Private School (PreK – 8thGrade)
- The Paideia School: Private School (PreK – 12thGrade)
- St. Thomas More School: Private School (PreK – 8thGrade)
Learn more about Atlanta school ratings in Decatur at Great Schools.
“The Decatur Square has become more popular in the last decade and is now considered something of a destination for foodies – there are indeed over a half-dozen award winning restaurants all around the Square, ranging from sushi to steaks to ice cream.”Nicholas Brown